Saturday, January 22, 2011

Squash muffins, canteloupe muffins

Tonight's dinner was mostly leftovers: I fried some scallops, garlic and mushrooms in a cast-iron pan and reheated the roasted veggies from Thursday in the same pan. A one-pot meal - I like it!

Tonight I'm making muffins for tomorrow's Taproot potluck. Recipe #1 is for squash muffins; #2 is for canteloupe muffins, using some frozen canteloupe puree we had from the summer when we were getting a couple melons a week.

And so, for the first time in literally months, there is no squash in my fridge. Hurrah!

(I should note that it's not that I don't like squash - I quite like it, especially Hubbard. I just find it harder to use up than some things.)

Squash muffins - makes 24 (or 12 big ones)
1 1/2 c. whole wheat flour
1 1/2 c. white flour
4 t baking powder
1 t salt
1 1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t cloves
1/4 t allspice
1 c brown sugar
1 1/4 c milk
1/4 c oil
1 c cooked squash (about 1 small acorn squash)
2 eggs

Oven to 350. Mix dry. Mix wet (including brown sugar). Combine. Stir until fully moistened. Cook 20-25 minutes or until a toothpic comes clean.

Canteloupe muffins - makes 12
1 c flour
1/2 c oats
3/4 c brown sugar
1/2 t salt
2 t baking powder
1/4 t ginger
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t allspice
1 c canteloupe puree
1 egg

Oven to 400. Mix dry. Add egg and canteloupe. Stir to moisten. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes clean.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, _that_ Kathy and Kenneth! Nice to meet you yesterday!

    Dana (& Bruce)

    ReplyDelete