Monday, June 27, 2011

Swiss Chard pizza & salad with herbed dressing

We're getting into the summer routine of having rotating salads for lunches. One of my favourite dressings is a 'herbed ranch' dressing - store-bought ranch dressings have so many preservatives that we just make our own. I'll post the recipe below.

For supper, we had one of my all-time favourite meals with the luscious Swiss chard we got in the box last week (seriously, have you ever seen healthier Swiss chard)? I had never eaten Swiss chard before my friend Marc introduced me to his Majorcan Swiss chard pizza. I don't know if it's authentically Majorcan or not but that's where he learned the recipe. I am now a die-hard fan of Swiss chard - eating it this way is way way better than steaming or stir-frying it. It looks prettiest with the red-stemmed chard, but works with any type. You can skip the red peppers if you don't have any, and top with feta or cooked chicken or cooked pork or whatever you please. I also swapped the green garlic for the garlic today, and it worked fine.

Majorcan Swiss Chard Pizza

1 bunch of swiss chard, washed and chopped

2 chopped onions

5 cloves of garlic, minced

2 red peppers, chopped

Cooked chicken or leftover pork or feta if desired

Olive oil

1 wholegrain pizza crust or flatbread

Salt and pepper

Preheat oven and pizza stone to 425 F. Sauté onions and garlic in a bit of oil until soft. Add chopped ribs of chard and the red peppers. Cook low 10 minutes. Add chopped chard leaves; cook and stir until just wilted. Roll out pizza base; spread on hot pizza stone. Brush pizza base with oil; top with the chard mixture. Add meat or feta if you’re using them. Season with lots of freshly ground sea salt (more than you would normally use – trust me) and black pepper. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is brown and crisped. Add more salt and pepper (trust me).



Herbed dressing

¼ c. vegetable oil

¼ c. white vinegar

3 T mayonnaise

1 T lemon juice

½ tsp Worchestershire sauce

1 T grated Parmesan

1 tsp sugar

¾ tsp dry mustard

1 tsp basil

1 tsp oregano

Salt and pepper

No comments:

Post a Comment