Wednesday, June 29, 2011

BBQ hamburgers with kale potatoes; garlic scape pesto

Last night Kenneth made hamburgers for the new barbecue with meat share ground beef, herbs from the garden, and some chopped garlic scape thrown in. He also made tinfoil packages of Taproot's new potatoes and some kale, tossed in a bit of olive oil. They were very good - better than I expected - since some of the kale crisped up and the flavour complemented the potatoes very well.

This evening I tried making garlic scape pesto. I looked up a bunch of recipes on the net, but they all seemed pretty 'by-guess-and-by-golly' type recipes, so I just chopped up all the scapes, threw in some pecans (the recipes I saw had walnuts or almonds, but Kenneth is allergic to raw versions of both), a bit of salt, lemon juice (maybe 1/4 cup) and enough olive oil that my blender didn't seize up when trying to chop things. Tossed it with pasta, served it with a salad and some grilled halloumi (an *awesome* cheese you can cook on the BBQ - you can get it at Pete's Frootique).

The pesto was alright but I found it a bit too raw-garlicky for my taste. You couldn't really taste the pecans at all. But Ria loved it! We made enough to freeze it in ice-cube trays, but I think in the future I'll mix it with basil pesto, or else just use it as a rub on chicken or something.

Fresh strawberries with ice cream for dessert. Can't be beat.

-Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment