Monday, February 14, 2011

spaghetti squash boats

I haven't posted in a while, but we haven't been cooking with box ingredients much this week. We've still got some turnip in the fridge, and sweet potatoes, though we used up some carrots and onions on the weekend. Most of the onions - several weeks' worth - went to a Valentine's Day steak-and-mushrooms-and-onions dinner on Saturday. Mmmmm.

Tonight I cooked the spaghetti squash. I never have much luck with making it spaghetti-like - whether I don't cook it enough or cook it too much or don't fork it out right, I'm not sure - but it tasted good anyways. I zapped it for 5 minutes in the microwave to soften it, then cut it in half, scooped out the seeds, and put it in the oven at 400 for about half an hour or 45 minutes. Meanwhile I sauteed some garlic in a bit of olive oil, then added red wine (about a quarter cup) and half a can of tomatoes to a frying pan and let it simmer for a while. I added about 2-3 T of Patricia's pesto and chopped up about 1/4 c. of sun-dried tomatoes and simmered them. I finally got impatient, and we were all getting hungry, so I pulled out the squash and zapped each half in the microwave for about 3 minutes. I shredded the squash into strings, still in the shell, poured the sauce over top, and topped it with black olives, pine nuts, and cubes of mozzarella. It tasted really good - and looked pretty fancy in the squash boats, too!

Happy Valentine's Day!

-Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment