Monday, April 25, 2011

Various menus

Happy Easter everyone! I'm sorry we haven't been posting lately ... busyness, holidays, and, frankly, not too much exciting cooking.

So - let's see - how have we been using up the box? Like I said, nothing too exciting, but a few things here and there:

-Kenneth made a very good Caesar salad with the spinach
-Kenneth made a side dish of carrot and parsnip cooked in fresh cilantro and a bit of butter
-I made the cabbage and apples stir-fry (served with perogies - yum!) (I already blogged about it: http://csanovascotia.blogspot.com/2011/01/cabbage-apple-curry-fry-leek-omelette.html)
-For an Easter dinner potluck, I made a big batch of killer coleslaw. It has migrated rather far from the original recipe: we try to avoid MSG, so we make our own dressing rather than using oriental soup mix (you can find the recipe here: http://csanovascotia.blogspot.com/2011/03/oriental-coleslaw-box-day.html); and someone at the party was allergic to nuts, so instead of almonds I put in soy nuts (and of course didn't use peanut oil). I did include the Mr. Soup noodles this time, but only because we still had one package - Kenneth says from now on no Mr. Soup!
-this morning I made muffins from rhubarb frozen from last summer

And then, of course, there's Ria's contribution, who tonight ate two bowls of turnip and one of beets, as well as sauerkraut, peas, crackers, sausage and rice cakes. I guess being outdoors all day is good for her!

Still in the fridge - 1/2 a cabbage (unbelievable!), 1 carrot, 1 parsnip, potatoes, jerusalem artichokes. Will probably roast some veggies tomorrow and use those up before the next load arrives.

Hope you had as much fun in the sun this weekend as we did.

-Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment