Sunday, May 1, 2011

coleslaw two ways

We've been a bit lax about posting - apologies - so I'll break this up into a few posts in case people are looking for specific ingredients/recipes. Kenneth also promises to post about the sausages he made with the pork from our new meat share.

Thursday Kenneth made some fantastic tempura with carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, turnip and onion. To go with it, I made an oriental-influenced coleslaw to use some of the cabbage we still had in the fridge. Kenneth had used up all the soy sauce in the tempura dipping sauce, so I had to improvise.

cabbage, sliced thinly
1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
1/4 cup soy nuts
1-2 T sesame oil
3 T rice vinegar
1 T worchestershire sauce
2 T honey

It tastes better if you let the cabbage marinate in the dressing a while.

Yesterday we had friends over for dinner and barbecued the T-bone steaks we got from the meat share. TASTY. I'll post the other veggies in the next blog, but I also made a coleslaw to go alongside. Very simple but very good. I don't like really mayonnaisy coleslaw, but this suited me.

2 T mayonnaise
3 T cider vinegar
grated cabbage
grated carrot
2 green onions, sliced.

We STILL have cabbage in the fridge, even after all that. We have neighbours with a new baby, so I was going to make an unrolled cabbage roll casserole for them ... until Kenneth reminded me what cabbage did to Ria when I was breastfeeding. So I made a pizza instead. Ah, well, maybe I'll make coleslaw again tonight.

-Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment