Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Lemon pasta; carrot salad

Hi all! I've been away conferencing, and then we've had guests all week, so I've been away from the blog. But I'll try to put up a few posts covering the past weeks, to catch up.

Other than take-away fish&chips and fried clams (hey, you have to treat non-province guests to them!) and some bbq's, I made a lemon pasta last week with some of the box treats. We also had some broccoli so I added that.

1 bunch asparagus, washed, cut in 1-inch pieces; tips reserved
1 head broccoli, cut in 1-inch pieces
2 T olive oil
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 can chickpeas
freshly grated parmesan
salt & pepper
fettuccine or similar, cooked al dente

Simmer the lemon zest in the olive oil; add lemon juice. Toss in the asparagus and broccoli until just tender. Stir in the chickpeas. Add 1/2 parmesan (about 1/4 cup); toss with cooked fettuccine. Top with rest of parmesan, salt and pepper. Quick and easy - and tasty!

We've also been eating salads for lunches. I won't post the broccoli salad, because we didn't get it in the box, but the carrot salad is also good (and looks nice with the rainbow Taproot carrots):

2-3 grated carrots
1-2 handfuls of fresh herbs, chopped (I used chives and thyme, which survived the winter in my garden)
1 T olive oil
2-3 T red wine vinegar
fresh pepper

This keeps for days in the fridge and only gets better as the flavours meld.

-Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment