Sunday, March 6, 2011

Herbed carrot salad

We've been using up bits and pieces (potatoes & sauerkraut with ribs on Thursday, sprouts and carrots and apples in lunches, continual coleslaw) but nothing very blog-worthy. Today I must have been feeling spring-like because I made my usual summer-time lunch: a trio of salads that I can cycle through, adding a new one as one gets used up. We had the cabbage coleslaw I posted the recipe for before (we're out of celeriac, but we've just been using the dressing on plain cabbage); a chickpea salad; and a grated Taproot carrot salad. Most people add raisins and things to carrot salad but I never like that as much - carrots are sweet enough as they are, I think (especially fresh local carrots!). I prefer a herb-dominant salad. You can use any herbs you have - fresh is always better, of course, though we've only got dried now - but this is the combination I used today.

For the carrot salad:
1-2 large carrots (you'll be amazed how much this makes)
2 T red wine vinegar
1 T olive oil
1-2 tsp oregano
1-2 tsp thyme
2 tsp fennel seeds

Grate the carrots. Stir the vinegar and the oil into the salad. Add herbs; taste and adjust as you please.

There! A dish that tastes like summer on what felt like the first day of spring.

And back to winter - leek and potato soup tonight.

-Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment