Tuesday, March 15, 2011

oriental coleslaw; box day!

Box day! And a beautiful sunshiny one, so Ria and I walked over to pickup the box and I came home with a knapsack full of beets, mostly. Beets, potatoes, frozen tomatoes, apples and fresh spinach - yum. Ria ate a whole apple right out of the box.

Sunday as planned I made the coleslaw for the potluck. I mixed red and savoy cabbage, which worked pretty well. This salad originally called for uncooked Mr. Soup noodles and a vinaigrette made out of the soup spices, but I didn't like the MSG so made up my own dressing which approximated the flavours. Then on Sunday Kenneth told me putting Mr. Soup noodles in the salad was like putting marshmallows on sweet potato - something out of the fifties. So I desisted and stuck with the basics - no Mr. Soup.
1 cabbage, sliced thinly

1 T chives, choppped

¼ cup toasted almonds

¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds

1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds

Dressing:

2 T soy sauce

3 T rice vinegar

2 T sesame oil

2 T peanut or canola oil

1 T sugar

1 T Mrs. Dash (or other vegetable seasoning)

pepper

Yesterday Kenneth cooked a tasty squash curry and tonight we had the last of the Taproot sauerkraut in a sausage and potato skillet. I think we've posted the recipe for that before so I won't repeat!

Enjoy the sunshine.

-Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment