Wednesday, March 9, 2011

ricotta leek fritters; roasties

Oh dear. The fridge she overfloweth. Box day yesterday and we got two savoy cabbages, fingerling potatoes, carrots, greens, sprouts, squash, turnip, cider, and soap. This to add to the half a red cabbage, carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, sauerkraut, parsnip, leeks and apples we already had. Patricia keeps apologizing for the size of the box ... now really.

So, tonight I resurrected another British tradition from my time in England: roasties. I think they're traditionally done with lard, but I used olive oil - much healthier. Oven to 450, toss small potatoes (washed but unpeeled), parsnips (peeled and cut into chunks the size of the potatoes) and sweet potatoes (peeled and in chunks) in a couple of tablespoons of olive oil. Sprinkle with herbs - I used parsley and thyme, but would have used rosemary if I'd had some - salt and pepper. Put them in a single layer in a baking dish. Roast uncovered until you can insert a fork easily into a potato - about 30-40 minutes.

Meanwhile, I cooked some sausage for meat and made a variation on the ricotta fritters Kenneth made a little while back: I sliced a leek finely, stirred it with an egg, 2 T whole wheat flour, about 1/2 cup crumbly ricotta, 1-2 T parmesan, and made them into little cakes then dry-fried them in a pan. I should note that this recipe originally comes from Jamie Oliver's Italy cookbook - he recommends refrigerating the mixture for about 1/2 hour before making, but I didn't have time.

Sliced up some red cabbage, mixed it with the greens, topped them with fundraising dressing we got from All Nations Church, and it was dinner! The greens tasted SO good - my body is definitely ready for spring.

-Kathy




No comments:

Post a Comment