Sunday, July 3, 2011

T-bone steak dinner

This morning I made strawberry muffins - recipe from Jane Brody's Good Food Gourmet. I didn't have enough strawberries so I used half rhubarb, and that worked well. We still have apples from the fruit share, but I think everything else is gone now ... :( Oh well, it's almost Tuesday!

Tonight we barbecued a T-bone steak we got in the meat share. It tasted fantastic, and I don't think it's my cooking (though the new BBQ might help). But grass-fed and natural really does make a difference, I think. With the last of the box mushrooms and some fried onions - mmmmm.

With the steak we had potato skewers, which look fancy and are really easy. Boil the smallest new potatoes you have, just until you can insert a fork (don't over boil). Thread onto bamboo skewers. Mash some fresh herbs (I used chives and thyme) in a little olive oil, and brush over the potatoes. Grill on the BBQ until the skins are nice and roasty.

We also had an arugula salad: Taproot lettuce but the first arugula (rocket) from our garden. This is a really good recipe for arugula:

handful arugula
handful lettuce if you want
slivered parmesan cheese
toasted walnuts (or other nuts)
drizzle of olive oil
drizzle of maple syrup
freshly ground pepper
This sounds weird but the syrup's sweetness balances the peppery arugula, the sharp cheese and the bitter nuts.

Arugula seems to be the first lettuce-type thing Ria likes. Although as always she prefers it unwashed from the garden to on her plate!

-Kathy


No comments:

Post a Comment